Welcome

I'm the mom of a beautiful Type 1 daughter and married to a wonderful husband who also has Type 1! This blog serves as a place for my thoughts and feelings, in the hopes that it will help other families struggling with the many challenges diabetes presents. I can't always promise it is uplifting...but, it is honest.

And, of course, it is by no means meant to offer medical advice.

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Together

This has been a rough week.

Numbers all over the place.

Almost zero sleep.

The fatigue. The emotions.  Expending so much effort 24 hours a day.

Complete exhaustion and seriously, I just need a freakin break.

Thursday:  I rush home in between meetings to pick the girls up from school in order to get everything ready for the babysitter.  I am greeted with Jessica visibly upset.  "Get me out of here...I just want to go home."  I quickly usher her out of the building.  She is in tears before we reach the car.  In the safety of the car, the floodgates open.

"They told me I couldn't finish my lunch.  They told me I had to throw out my food.  I told them I had Type 1 diabetes, and I needed to eat my lunch, but they wouldn't listen.  My friends told them I had Type 1.  She said she knew I had Type 1, but lunch was over and I had to throw out my food.  Mom, I had over 30 grams of carbs left...I was afraid if I didn't eat it I would get so low I would pass out." More tears.  "I was so scared, mom."

Jessica stood strong.  She refused to throw out her food.  And, so, the lunch aid went to her teacher.

Luckily, her teacher handled the situation appropriately and took her to the nurse, where she finished her lunch.  Although, why she couldn't have just finished it on the way to her classroom is beyond me.

The day devastated Jessica.  Having to stand up to an adult and say no.  At the age of ten, this is not an easy feat.  She was so upset by the time her teacher came, that she cried in front of her class.  Embarrassment, Humiliation, Fear.  All over some uneducated adult's decision not to listen to a child who knows her own health condition better than anyone else.

I was filled with so many emotions.  Extreme Anger.  It took all I could to go home and write a polite but assertive email, rather than rushing into the building and screaming and yelling.  But, also Pride.  Jessica knew what the right thing to do was.  And, when challenged she held her ground.  She did what she needed to do to make sure she was safe.  And, although it cost her humiliation, fear, and embarrassment...she did it.

But, it angers me she had to.  Despite all the hours and effort we have put into making sure she is safe at school, things like this still occur.  And, they will continue to.  Her school is amazing.  Her teacher, the nurse, and even the principal handled it well.  The principal even came to check on her later in the day and make sure she was ok.

And, it is not the first time she has been treated wrongly at school.  At her old school she was forced to check her blood sugar in stairways.  The nurse would psychoanalyze her sugars..."Now, Jessica...what do you think could have happened to make you 200?"

We have always responded quickly and assertively, but the truth is that these things will continue to happen and I know it.  A 504 plan, while a good start, can not fully protect our children when we are not there.

November is National Diabetes Month.  A time to remember to educate, advocate, and fundraise.  These are the tools we have to help our children.  We must educate those who don't understand.  Many will never "get it," but we at least need to know that they have enough knowledge to keep our children safe when we are not there.  And, we must advocate.  We need faster FDA approval, we need more funds dedicated to Type 1 research, we need life and health insurance policies that are fair and not based on lumping life expectancies of Type 2 and Type 1 diabetics together.  We need school policies that keep our kids safe, and that don't allow discrimination based on a health condition that is difficult to control.  And, we must fundraise towards a cure.

But, until then, we must support each other in this journey.  We cannot do it alone.  We are stronger, and our kids are stronger when we stick together.  Our life was changed by finding Children With Diabetes.  I wait impatiently for the next conference in February, where for one weekend we will once again be enveloped in support.  And, where we will have the chance to support others.


Together, our children will grow up healthy and strong.
Together, we will support each other.
Together, we will find a cure.




5 comments:

  1. Jessica is amazing, and the confidence (tear-stained or not) she shows at ten is amazing. You're raising a wonderful girl.

    Actually, you're raising TWO wonderful girls. :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember being a kid and having to tell grown-ups what I could and couldn't do. And that I needed things, even when they thought I didn't. The one time I didn't say anything, I ended up going into diabetic shock at school and woke up in the ER. I'm GLAD she stood up to the adult. And I'm sad she had to do it.
    Tell her to keep being strong. Jessica, YOU CAN DO THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for her to be willing to speak up, but I really hate that she had to. Together, we WILL find a cure. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is highly emotional!
      I wldnt be as brave as jesicca am so sure!
      Hug her for me, she's an amazing child!
      We all hope these misunderstanding wldnt take place aga

      Delete
  4. Wow. I agree with Kerri. I don't know if I could have stood up like that even as an adult. Pretty incredible of her, and I can totally understand why it was such a hard thing to do.

    ReplyDelete