Welcome

I'm the mom of a beautiful Type 1 daughter and married to a wonderful husband who also has Type 1! This blog serves as a place for my thoughts and feelings, in the hopes that it will help other families struggling with the many challenges diabetes presents. I can't always promise it is uplifting...but, it is honest.

And, of course, it is by no means meant to offer medical advice.

Saturday, December 24, 2011

All I Want For Christmas Is A CURE!!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all the families, our kindred spirits, living with Type 1 diabetes.

It is a good time to reflect and give thanks.

I am so thankful for family and friends who support us.

As time goes on I realize how important it is to have people who knew us, and Jessica, "before." We are so thankful you have stood by us, and continue to love and support us.

But, I am also thankful to have met and become friends with those that met us "after," yet still accept us with all of our crazy nutrition label counting and crankiness after sleepless nights.

I am so incredibly thankful for Ellie, Jessica's health care provider. She is absolutely the best, and although it was quite a journey to find her, it was worth every step. Every family living with type 1 deserves someone just like her.

Thank you to the people and companies who have developed glucometers that give an answer in a few short seconds. I still hate the callouses on my daughter's fingers, and she hates how "long" it takes. But, we both know this technology has come so far.

Thank you to Animas. Yes, I am naming a brand! We love your pump, your customer service, and your colors! Thank you for realizing that water proof pumps and meter remotes are a super big deal to kiddos, and to their parents. And, thank you for replacing hers when it broke! We are especially grateful to your vacation loaner program as it saved us on a recent trip to Colorado when Jess's pump made a strange R2D2 sound and then shut off (such a good reminder to download your settings regularly!). And, please get your new pump/CGM from Europe over to the USA!

Thank you to the JDRF! You are such a worthy organization. You give us a cause. You provide us with hope. We know how lucky we are to have a disease for which there is such a powerful group advocating and dedicated to finding a cure. We have raised over $14,000 for the JDRF in two years and will continue to do our part!

Thank you to all of those who have contributed to Team Jessica. This has been such a huge source of support to us. We have been amazed and humbled by your generosity.

Thank you to fellow bloggers. You make us realize we are not alone in this journey. You are our kindred spirits and we learn so much from you.

Thank you to our health insurance company. We may have a huge deductible, and our health care bills take a large part of our income, but we have insulin, strips, and pumps, and access to health care. We never forget that so many can not say this.

Thank you to Banting, Best, Macleod and Collip--you saved my husband's life, and now my daughter's. We are forever thankful for your discovery of insulin. It may not be a cure, but there is no doubt it is life support.

Thank you to all the others I am forgetting, and I am sure there are many. We know how fortunate we are, and we appreciate it.

Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays. And, how could I not end with one wish? A cure. Santa, all I want is a cure. I will patiently wait until you can put that in my stocking!

No comments:

Post a Comment